Monday, June 20, 2005

MySQL start-up problems

When I first installed MySQL I had little problems with installation/startup. Today however, when trying to start the server using either mysql -u root -p or the MySQL Command Line tool, I got the error message saying: Error 2003 (HY000): Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061). Further, when using mysqld --console, I got an error message saying: [ERROR] can't find messagefile 'c:\mysql\share\english\errmsg.sys', whereas MySQL is installed in directory 'c:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 4.1', which should thus be the place to look for the \share folder. I checked my my.ini file, which seemed to have the correct settings. Apparently though, something must have messed up my server settings so that it was no longer using the .ini-file, because specifying the defaults file in the following way almost solved the problem:
mysqld --defaults-file="C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 4.1\my.ini" --console. Now I got an error message similar to one I got when installing MySQL in the first place, saying: InnoDB: Error: log file .\ib_logfile0 is of different size 0 5242880 bytes than specified in the .cnf file 0 10485760 bytes! I therefore deleted the files ib_logfile0 and ib_logfile1, because they will be automatially re-created and set to the size specified in the my.ini-file when starting mysqld. After that, MySQL started up fine.

It worries me a bit that the error message refers to the .cnf file, because MySQL is supposed to use the .ini-file, and besides, there is no *.cnf file on my entire harddrive. So at the moment, I am assuming that it is an error with the error message...

1 Comments:

At 1:09 pm, Anonymous Elle said...

Nice post thhanks for sharing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

En blogg kan være et godt verktøy for en som i litt for stor grad glemmer de små og store tingene som utgjør livet. Dette er min reserve- hukommelse.